Frequently Asked Questions
What is the National Disability Insurance Scheme?
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is a new way to provide funding and support to people with disabilities across the life course including children with developmental delays or disabilities. The NDIS is overseen by the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA).
The Early Childhood Intervention Program (Special Needs Support Group Inc.) is a registered and approved NDIS provider and is currently delivering services for children and families in the Coffs Coast region. This will continue under the NDIS when it rolls out here in July 2017.
We will be working closely with NDIA to assist you to create an overall plan to address your child’s and family’s support needs and your goals and aspirations. Once you have a plan Early Connections – Coffs Coast can help you to identify and take action on the things that will make the greatest difference for your child and your family.
Who can access the NDIS?
You may be able to access NDIS funding if you meet the following criteria:
- Your child has a developmental delay or disability that affects their ability to take part in everyday activities or affects their development
- Your child is an Australian citizen, a permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen who holds a Protected Special Category Visa
- You are currently receiving services & support with us here at Early Connections – Coffs Coast. All communication from NDIS indicates that currently enrolled children WILL receive a package.
How does it work?
If you are eligible for the NDIS, you will receive funding on an annual basis to purchase the supports, services, aids and equipment that you have been assessed as needing. In addition, you can choose either to self-manage your own funds, in which case you make claims to NDIS personally, or you can request that we do this on your behalf.
I live on the Coffs Coast, What does this mean for me?
Early Connections is located in the heart of Coffs Harbour. We service the entire region from Nambucca to Middle Rock. This region will commence under the NDIS in July 2017.
- We operate a flexible service. This means that our supports and services can be located/ conducted just about anywhere – at our purpose build facility, home, school, preschool, Early Childhood setting.
- Our existing service will continue to be funded by the State and Federal Government until July 2017.
- Most of what we do will be similar to the way that we work now.
- You will have more choices and flexibility as to how often you can receive a service from us.
- We will be introducing some new ideas, work practices and organisational changes during the next 12 months to prepare all of us for the NDIS.
- We will keep you updated with information as it becomes available
What services can I access under the NDIS through Early Connections – Coffs Coast ?
We provide a range of support services to children 0 – 8 years old with a disability or developmental delay. Our services include:
- A key worker for each family.
- A teamwork approach which involves staff from many different disciplines (speech therapy, occupational therapy, teaching, psychology, physiotherapy and social work) all able to offer support to you directly or via your key worker.
- Home visiting services from your key worker who will be an experienced therapist or teacher with specialised knowledge about children with disabilities or developmental delays.
- Visits to early childhood education and care services to support the inclusion of your child.
- Information and advice about your child’s needs and other services that may be relevant for you.
- Specialised group programs such as the Hanen Program, and Circles of Security.
- Coordination with other service providers
I am currently receiving services and support from Early Connections – Coffs Coast. What will the NDIS mean for me?
We will work alongside government as they have developed the NDIS, and will play an active role in the transition from current arrangements to the new scheme. We understand that undergoing a change this big can be challenging, so we will work with you to ensure that the transition to NDIS is tailored to your family’s needs. During the transition you can be assured that we will maintain our commitment to our vision: Every child develops meaningful relationships, participates and learns with the encouragement and understanding of their families, carers, educators and communities. This means that if we currently provide services to your child we will make sure your voice and choices are heard, and that we will continue to partner with you to develop personalised plans and goals that reflect your child’s needs.
I am currently with another service provider. What will NDIS mean for me?
Increased flexibility and choice is what is encouraged under the NDIS. This means that many people can access different support from many different services. To change or to discuss your options and choices please call us on 02 6652 8080.